Friday, June 17

Monkeon

I like to look in at the Photoshopped images and tall tales on the front page and message board of b3ta every now and again.

On the front page, there's nearly always an upload by a certain Monkeon, like this excellent topical one of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Monkeon's style of photo strips are so detailed that I have to squint over them to make out what is going on. Even the layout of his archive gallery forces me to squint. Perhaps that is limiting his audience a little, despite how consistently good he is. But the overly-detailed style suits his humour, in that it takes a second to register what he is getting at usually, before the joke falls in place.

There seem to be two or three other people on b3ta who have more or less appropriated what he does and do it nearly as well. If I'm right in that, which I can't be sure I am because I'm not there every day, I hope he takes it as a compliment and I hope it is not a harbinger of some TV or radio producer stealing his ideas, because being funny is hard and and deserves credit.