Thursday, August 4

Stuck on a train with Haydn

Ivan Hewett won't be buying an iPod. He tried a CD Walkman once and didn't like it.

Classical music doesn't belong in this private, mobile space. It was created in a space that's vanishing - the public space of churches, libraries, debating societies and concerts. That's the real reason it's so hard to listen to it on a Walkman or an iPod.


Reading his piece, I feel guilty that nearly all my listening is done using classical music as background music only. In my listening, I feel inferior to Ivan Hewett. I do not sit quietly night after night listening to music any more than I spend night after night single-mindedly reading the books I'm suppposed to read. But I will continue to listen in my amateurish and half-hearted way, to classical music on my iPod.